Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Roland, IA: Lost/Wood Grain Elevator

(Satellite, it was removed Mar 23, 2024.)

Street View, Aug 2022

Wesley Peters posted three photos with the comment:
Remembering the Farmers Coop Elevator at Roland, Story County, IA.
False-front combination headhouse/annex built in 1956, Mill & Elevator Service Co. 103,000-bushel capacity.
Destroyed via practice burn on 3/23/2024.
Just two surviving works by the Mill & Elevator Service Co. are left in Iowa in 2026, an annex in Leland, and a headhouse at Ogden.
I visited and photographed this elevator three times (2020, 2023, and 2024).
Photos courtesy of Wesley Peters.
1

2

3

This elevator is still left.
Street View, Sep 2021

I wasn't surprised that the railroad was abandoned west of town in 1975, but I was surprised that it was already abandoned in 1954.
1954/68 Waterloo Quad @ 250,000

C&NW bought the M&StL.
rail.guide

No comments:

Post a Comment