![]() |
| Marty Bernard posted CB&Q STATION AT ALPHA, IL ON JUNE 19, 1966 Woodhull - Joy line (with gate across) crosses Savanna - Galesburg main. Roger Puta photo Fred Lewis: There was a local that started there up till the early 80s. The “Alpha Job” had some tall seniority on it so I only saw it on rare occasions off the extra board. |
![]() |
| Mark Adler posted Andy Zukowski posted "CB&Q Depot in Alpha, Illinois. 1963" Andy Zukowski posted CB&Q Railroad Depot in Alpha,Illinois. 1963 Richard Fiedler shared |
![]() |
| Nick Barman commented on Andy's post Larry Candilas: Nick Barman SB on the Barstow Sub? Nick Barman: Larry Candilas yes |
![]() |
| Dennis DeBruler commented on Mark's post CB&Q had both routes through town. The smash gate is across the now abandoned east/west route. The depot was on the east side of today's tracks and south of E Street. https://clearinghouse.isgs.illinois.edu/webdocs/ilhap/county/data/henry/flight15/00ru272316.jpg |
![]() |
| Andy Zukowski posted Railroad Train Station in Alpha, Illinois, 1908 Andy Zukowski shared |
![]() |
| larry Candilas commented on Andy's post A few years later [I had noticed that the depots looked different.] |
![]() |
| Marty Bernard posted CB&Q station at Alpha, IL. The Galesburg - Savanna main crosses Woodhull - Joy spur., June 19, 1966. Roger Puta photo Colin Mueller: So much awesome signal stuff in this one picture! The doll arm lower quad semaphore is a gem in my opinion! Jerry Nolan: Also the swinging gate with the switch lantern on top. Brandon Otterstrom: That is my grandfather’s & uncle’s ready-mix concrete plant, Alpha Ready-Mix, behind the semaphores. |
Trent Briggs posted four photos with the comment: "Alpha, Illinois Depot in 1957."
Sandi Cole: My Dad was section foreman for that area. I remember one time he picked me up on the motor car on his way back to Alpha where his car was parked. The depot was one of my favorite places to visit when I was little. Getting to ride with him on the motor car is one of my favorite memories! I'm just glad we didn't get caught!!!
Bob Taylor: Sandi Cole After I left working for your Dad, I got into train service, I was conductor on the Sunday Barstow transfer. Normally a very easy and quick, quiet workday. The crew and I decided to smuggle our wives along so they could see what we did for a living. I stashed them in the caboose until we made it from Rock Island to Barstow. It looked like a light day and an early quit. Until we derailed a car and all sorts of of officials and section crew were called to get us rerailed. Had to send the girls to the home of one of my crewmates that lived in Barstow.
Jacob Hortenstine shared
![]() |
| 1 |
![]() |
| 2 |
![]() |
| 3 |
![]() |
| 4 |
![]() |
| Sean Dazley commented on Trent's post |
![]() |
| Sean Dazley commented on Trent's post |
![]() |
| Andy Zukowski posted CB&Q Railroad Depot in Alpha, Illinois. 1975 Thomas Whitt shared Kevin Huggins: Set up for a previous diamond, I would have thought the long portion of the depot would have been on the main line at the short side of the depot would have been on the branch line. Oh well, you can see the connecting track and behind the depot. Paul Schmidt: New building. Probably came down in short order. Nick Barman: Paul Schmidt new depot was torn down around 2018-2019. I worked m o w in Alpha starting in the 70s the old depot was gone by then. Richard Fiedler shared |
Alpha was on a few of the CB&Q branches.
![]() |
| 1902 |
Given Nick's date of 2018, I checked out the street views. The building in the photo must have been the old depot because this building is parallel to the main tracks. The photo at the top of these notes that was posted by Marty also confirms that Andy's photo is of the old depot.
![]() |
| Street View, Jul 2013 |
BNSF (orange) still operates a route between Galesburg and the Quad Cities.
![]() |
| arcgis |



.png)














No comments:
Post a Comment