Wednesday, August 7, 2024

McLean, IL: US-66 Mural, Museum/GM&O/Alton Depot and Grain Elevators

Mural: (Satellite, it is on the side of a grain bin.)
Original Depot Location: (Satellite, based on aerial photo below. Railroad Street was added after the depot was moved.)
Current Depot Location: (Satellite)

US-66 Overview

Daniel Keefe, May 2026

On a trip down I-55 to Springfield, w would get off at exits and head towards the railroad in the town to see what we could find. My wife is a good spotter and noticed this building. 
20160629 3455

So I found a parking spot, and we got out to check it out. It is nice that they preserved the train order signals.



The camera didn't handle the backlighting very well.

And it failed completely with this view. It has spoiled me because it generally spots and handles backlighting quite well. When I first got it, I would take a second photo with the exposure changed one stop. But each time I preferred the camera's exposure so I quite compensating.


The satellite link at the top of these notes includes some photos that people have uploaded. There are quite a few interior shots. The building now houses a model railroading store. One of the shots is of the agent's desk.
Tristan McCall, Aug 2016

I did catch the two levers at the top of the windows that allowed the agent to control the train order signals.

1940 Aerial Photo from ILHAP

Noah Haggerty posted three photos with the comment: "The Chicago & Alton's depot at McLean, Illinois sits not far from where it stood, now as a model train shop. It's along Route 136 / Dixie Rd, and taken on August 10, 2023."
Noah Haggerty posted again with the same comment.
1

2

3

Brad Brown commented on Noah's post
Stopped there back couple months back, neat place.

Alan Fricker posted
The ex-station in McLean, Ill., is now home to a model railroad shop and Route 66 visitor's center.  It's been moved from the tracks and is now across the street from the truck stop.  My photo, taken last month [Sep], @2026.
Amtrak Prod: One of the best if not the best model train store in Illinois.
Cole Beer: Been there twice now! Tom (store owner) is a very nice and knowledgeable person who has helped me through quite a bit of my model railroad journey.
Roger G. Perkins: One of my favorite model railroad stores.
Jack Franklin shared

Aug 6, 2024: Josh Clark posted
A&S 2205 passing the new McLean mural after shaking hands with Amtrak 318 and a conductor pickup this evening.

The mural was painted since Sep 2023.
Street View, Sep 2023

On the left of this view, we see the downtown elevator. I think the federal taxpayers paid for those concrete ties in the name of a high speed (110mph) railroad.
Street View, Jul 2023

I wonder when the fall protector was last used. According to a satellite image, the siding is no longer usable.
Street View, Jul 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment