Thursday, July 30, 2026

Knox, IN: Two NKP Steam Locomotives near Starke county Farm Co-Op

(Satellite)

Steven J. Brown posted
Nickel Plate 2-8-2 587 and Nickel Plate 2-8-4 765 are heading to Chicago pulling the Norfolk Southern Independence Limited to the NRHS Convention in Chicago somewhere in, near or around Valparaiso, Indiana - July 20, 1993.
Jason Cook: I'm not 100% certain but the only elevator that I can find on the NKP out that way is the Starke County Co-Op between Knox and Valpo.
Steven J. Brown: Jason Cook The train appears to be in a curve. The track looks straight through there (now). I could be missing something.
Dennis DeBruler: Steven J. Brown Facebook didn't think this comment was relevant. I found it later. As I have noted, you were using a strong telephoto lens a little east of the elevator. I don't think vibration reduction for lenses existed back in 1993. I'm trying to figure out how you avoided camera shake. You couldn't use a tripod for that shot.
Ben Nicholas: A historic moment when two NKP steamers pulling a train together. It's too bad 587 is still in pieces but hope someone returns her to steam.
Sou Railman: The very last Independence Limited.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Jason's comment
A telephoto lens exaggerated the curve that is east of the elevator, https://maps.app.goo.gl/qSPDWc46DftZNDzw6.

This confirms that the elevator has two steel bins between the silos and the tracks as shown in Steven's photo.
Street View, May 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment