(
Satellite)
The yellow fall protector implies that this elevator gets rail service. Since CN still owns this IC route, that means a Class I railroad is servicing an elevator that can't handle unit trains.
Wesley Peters
posted five photos with the comment:
Newell, Buena Vista County, IA.
Newell Cooperative Elevator. Headhouse built in 1954, Tillotson Construction Co. 150,000-bushel capacity. West annex built in 1967, Barton Inc. Bushel capacity unknown. South annex built in 1970, Younglove Construction Co. 780,000-bushel capacity.
Photographed on 6/28/2026.
Photos courtesy of Wesley Peters.
 |
| 1 |
 |
| 2 |
 |
| 3 |
 |
| 4 |
 |
| 5 |
 |
Ronald Ahrens commented on Wesley's comment Tillotson Construction Co. built the 150,000-bushel main house, identifiable by the signature rounded cupola, in 1954. Wesley Peters: Yep I just realized I screwed up the order in my post. I thought I was missing something. Thanks for pointing that out. So the west annex was built by Barton Inc. in 1967. That is the one with the builders plaque.
Bob Summers: Wesley Peters Borton Inc. was the successor to Chalmers & Borton after Mr. Chalmers died in 1960. |
The concrete silos are in the upper-right corner of this excerpt. I noticed that the town has some additional elevators further west. Cruising around the west side with street view, it appears that the elevators on the west side are feed mills.
No comments:
Post a Comment