Sunday, October 4, 2026

Valdez, AK: Abandoned Barley Grain Elevator, Cruise Ship, Oil Docks and Museum

Elevator: (Satellite, 3x3 bins is unusual.)
Cruise Ships: (Satellite)
Oil Docks: (see below)
Museum: (Satellite)

I didn't know grain crops could be grown this far north.

Robert Houtwed posted two photos with the comment:
These 112 foot [24m] tall grain silos that held 522,000 bushels are located on the outskirts of Valdez, Alaska on ammunition island. They were built in the late 70’s during an oil boom to export barley but are no longer in use. They are currently owned by the city of Valdez as part of their port ground.
1

2

While looking for the elevator, I discovered that cruise ships can dock at this town.
Street View, Aug 2026

Julio Petrovitch, Sep 2023

And I'm reminded that Valdez is the southern terminus of the 800 mile (1,287km) pipeline to Prudhoe Bay. I presume this is where the tankers are loaded. It looks like they have a couple of loading docks.
Satellite

They also have a museum with some displays unique to Alaska. For example:
Kevin Vakalis, Jun 2025

And the museum also has some generic history such as this jukebox.
Kevin Vakalis, Jun 2025

No comments:

Post a Comment