Saturday, August 19, 2023

Cherokee, IA: IC Roundhouse, Water Tower & 1896 Depot and Old Grain Elevator

Roundhouse: (Satellite)
Depot: (Satellite) Northwest Iowa Railroad Museum
Elevator: (Satellite)

Roger Thornley posted
This is a picture of the Illinois Central roundhouse and yard at Cherokee, Iowa. Looks to be a very busy place! Believed to be taken between 1907 and 1912.
(Picture borrowed from Terry Kneen)
There was a group that was trying to save the roundhouse and depot years ago. But they couldn't get the funding to save the roundhouse, but thankfully they did for a depot. The City administrator wanted it gone, as it wasn't generating any tax dollars. Funny thing, it still isn't today either! The turn table was there a few years ago, but CN raided it for parts for the one at Ft. Dodge.

Satellite

1971 Cherokee North and 1969 Cherokee South Quads @ 24,000

Dennis DeBruler commented on Roger's post
Apr 9, 1968 @ 20,000 [AR1VBZT00010062]

IC used to have a north/south route in addition to today's east/west route, but ICG abandoned it.
1958 Fort Dodge Quad @ 250,000

Street View, Nov 2021

cherokeedepot.org
The depot has a model room layout and rooms for rent.
 
Jim Arvites posted
View of the Illinois Central Railroad depot in Cherokee, Iowa circa 1900. The station, built 1896, served IC passenger trains until May 1971. It was later used by the IC as a freight station until 1982 when the railroad vacated the building. The station has been restored and today is a museum.
(Cherokee Area Archives)

Michael Behm posted
The Illinois Central Railroad depot at Cherokee iowa Central Station. Cherokee was a hub for the Illinois Central Railroad's . My picture from 5/16/19
The former depot is a 2+1⁄2-story brick structure on a limestone foundation, and capped with a hipped roof. It was designed by the architects of the Illinois Central Railroad.[2] The interior featured two waiting rooms on the first floor, one for the men and one for women. Office's for the IC's division headquarters occupied the second floor. The exterior of the building was altered in the 1940s. The canopy over the old platform is a reconstruction of the original. The American Express building is a single-story brick structure built on a concrete and limestone foundation. It too was capped with a hipped roof. This building was altered in 1922. Both buildings are located next to each other along South Fourth Street

It is labeled Wych Dr. Distilling Co. and there are several tank cars spotted on its siding.
Street View, Nov 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment