Original Elevator: (Satellite)
Today's Elevator: (Satellite, I'm surprised that ADM is operating such an isolated elevator in terms of Interstate highways and railroads. I wonder to where they haul the grain.)
![]() |
| Larry Foht posted Illinois Central Railroad Depot Weldon Illinois On The Route from Champaign to Havana [CH&W/Havana, Lincoln & Champaign Railroad] Larry Foht collection : [Complete with milk cans and grain elevator.] Brad Craig: See the Way Bills box by the door? It's been in my "collection" for over 50 years. Family friends lived in Monticello. Glad now during a visit in 1974-75 my friend and I drove around the area taking pictures of depots and everything else that was laying around rusting and rotting. A few of those depots were being manned by a traveling agent. I respected that and only took pictures of them. Most, were already abandoned and inside ransacked.So, I went in and helped myself to what ever "goodies" the" vandals" hadn't destroyed. If I wouldn't have, someone else would or it would have been trashed when they demolished them a few years later. Jim Kelling shared Weldon Illinois (Illinois Central station) The Milk Train Journal posted Further evidence of milk traffic on The Illinois Central, in a town a few miles north of Decatur, IL. There is about twelve milk cans in view. The IC was one of the few railroads that we know of no current listing of historical milk station and platform pickups (and drop-offs in Chicago), other than the few from Illinois and Wisconsin. The number of milk can cars that the IC had is also still presently unknown. Lastly, we have seen NO reports whatsoever as to how much milk the IC hauled into Chicago at any time, in milk cans or milk tank car, and how long it lasted. |
Three street view drivers went on IL-48, but none of them went into the town. Judging from a satellite image, the expansions of the elevator used several different grain storage technologies.
![]() |
| Street View, Dec 2018 |





No comments:
Post a Comment