West: (
Satellite)
East: (
Satellite, the northeast corner of this elevator is old)
The railroad was the original mainline for the NYC/Lake Shore & Michigan Southern between Lakes Erie and Michigan.
 |
Ryan King posted Ida Farmers Cooperative in Ida, Michigan today. Picture was taken through a very rainy windshield. They were only open for a few hours this morning due to no power. They’ve been without power for nearly a week due to ice storms. Super nice people and I hope to be back for a tour of the mill some time in the near future. |
This is on the other side of Lewis Avenue. The concrete towers extend to the right behind the tree.
I went over to Mill Street to get a better view of the old part.
Speaking of old, this elevator still has a truck dump for straight bed trucks. And it looks like it is being used.
According to a satellite image, these stave silos have been torn down.
I remember delivering corn and soybeans at the eastern elevator with my dad as a kid. The David V. Tinder photo collection at the University of Michigan has some photos of the western elevator and store (search for IDA): https://quod.lib.umich.edu/t/tinder/x-42099/TINDER-RPPC-084197?lasttype=boolean;lastview=reslist;resnum=18;size=50;sort=relevance;start=1;subview=detail;view=entry;rgn1=ic_all;q1=Ida
ReplyDeletehttps://quod.lib.umich.edu/t/tinder/x-42078/TINDER-RPPC-084155?lasttype=boolean;lastview=reslist;resnum=20;size=50;sort=relevance;start=1;subview=detail;view=entry;rgn1=ic_all;q1=Ida
https://quod.lib.umich.edu/t/tinder/x-42076/TINDER-RPPC-084151?lasttype=boolean;lastview=reslist;resnum=25;size=50;sort=relevance;start=1;subview=detail;view=entry;rgn1=ic_all;q1=Ida
The western elevator was once owned by Amendt Milling Co. - I have a postcard scan showing the Amendt mills and elevators at Monroe, Ypsilanti, Norvell, Petersburg, Trenton, and Ida I can email to you.