Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Shreveport, LA: 1887 Water Works Museum

(Satellite)

Street View, Jan 2021

Howard Zhu, Dec 2024

Louisiana Life posted
[Description is padded with a lot of AI platitudes.]
Lawrence Lois Bartel: I loved this museum visit. There's railroad memorabilia right next door too. [The red-brick building in the street view at the top of these notes houses the railroad museum.]

The pump in the above photo is in the background of this photo. I think the pump in the foreground is older because of the header tank used to combine the four pulses of water into a steady stream.
Carter Sutton, Oct 2016

They had at least two drill presses.
Michael Anderson, Jul 2026

"The last known steam-powered municipal water treatment plant in the United States
when its steam engines were finally retired in 1980." [ShreveportWaterWorks]
I was surprised how late some of Chicago's pumping stations used steam. I think it was because they needed variable speed pumps, and they waited until power semiconductors allowed them to use AC motors to replace the steam pumps.

ShreveportWaterWorks_museum, 5 of 5

ShreveportWaterWorks_history

No comments:

Post a Comment