Monday, November 11, 2024

Dickerson Run, PA: Aban/(P&LE+WM) Railyard and Roundhouse

Railyard: (Satellite, literally, a bunch of brown land.)
Roundhouse: (Satellite, the roundhouse area is green.)


𝗥𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗻: 𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗻𝘀𝘆𝗹𝘃𝗮𝗻𝗶𝗮 and Ohio posted
Dickerson Run PA P&LE Railroad Roundhouse ~ early 1900s!

A different exposure.
Fayette County Historical Society/Abel Colley Tavern & Museum posted
The antique dealer I purchased this vintage postcard from says that it shows the Dickerson Run Roundhouse.  I'm not certain of that and so I'm reaching out to you for your help.  In the meantime, there are quite a few reports about the safety record of this roundhouse.  The Daily Courier on Augudt 7, 1930 reported the following:  "Lake Erie Roundhouse Completes 1,158 Days Without An Accident"  "The 1,158 consecutive day without a single lost-time accident was rounded out last midnight by employes of the Dickerson Run roundhouse of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Company.  Already officials of competing roads have expressed the belief that the safety record is the best ever established in the world in that respective department.  Much interest is manifest by the employes who are bent upon a safety performance that will remain unequalled for many years to come."
That's the last I saw in the newspapers for a while.  I stopped looking after 1938 so perhaps the record was finally broken.  But this record was indeed something to celebrate.  Well Done!
I know my grandfather lived and worked at this railroad in Dickerson Run.  He died when I was a little girl so I never heard any stories about his time.  I do have a photo of him standing by a locomotive with some of his friends.  
Looking forward to hearing from you.  Chris
[The comments agree that this is Dickerson Run.]

Dave Kuntz posted four photos with the comment: "Resembling a giant seashell implanted on the shores of the Youghiogheny River, the Dickerson Run Roundhouse foundations in PA are almost invisible to GAP trail users just a few feet away but very impressive from the air."
Ian Hapsias: It is where the P&LE Connellsville extension was.
Brandon Peck: Pittsburgh and lake erie and western maryland was service here.
[Western Maryland was a fellow member of the Alphabet Route.]
1

2

3

4

Jimbo Lovasz commented on Dave's post

Allen Blane commented on Dave's post
[This was an earlier facility.]

Dennis DeBruler commented on Dave's post
1964/65 Dawson Quad @ 24,000

No comments:

Post a Comment