Monday, October 20, 2014

Neponset, IL: Wooden Grain Elevator

(Satellite)

Street View

Neponset Historical Society posted
Neponset, IL. 1969.
Zach Malcolm shared

The grain elevator in Neponset, IL, has quite a bit of storage capacity, but Neponset does not have a downtown. It has just a gas station.

I have to admit that Google's street side view above is a better overview than any of my pictures. But my track side photo indicates that the BNSF/CB&Q siding is currently broken. However, it looks like they may be repairing it.

20141017-19 0029
The concrete foundation for a rectangular building also caught my attention. And this view indicates that the regular building to expand the capacity is quite long and wide.

I took a picture of this disk parked near the elevator for use in a posting I'm planning to write.
This Maintenance-of-Way equipment is more evidence that they are repairing the siding to the grain elevator. Close by someone had dumped a lot of old spikes and a tie-plate.





This is a view of the grain elevator complex from the west side where I saw the disc and MoW equipment.
Street View
The checkerboard painting we see in the 1969 photo has disappeared. But we can still see the letters of the name PURINA.



No comments:

Post a Comment