Monday, July 18, 2016

Poseyville, IN: Feed Mill

20141108 0127
I used the grain elevator on the southwest side of Poseyville as an example of a feed mill in a Facebook posting. I did not get good pictures of it myself because I zoomed past it at highway speeds and did not bother to turn around since I was more concerned that day about the abandoned right-of-way of IC's Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway. Fortunately, Google's streetviews allow me to fill in the gaps.

The feed mill is in the background of the picture of the abandoned right-of-way embankment on the left. The elevator still has the spout that would load covered hoppers.

It has the classical growth pattern of old concrete silos as the core and steel bins for added capacity.

Streetview
But it also has a lot of little bins with secondary bin selectors to store feed supplements. And a building to hold the grinder and mixer.

Streetview
This elevator did not load many cars because the siding was about 500 feet. And they left just enough of the mainline on the west side to run an engine around the cars.

Bing's satellite is old enough to still have the tracks.



No comments:

Post a Comment