Thursday, May 3, 2018

Mendota, IL: BNSF Railfan Action

(Satellite)  (A general posting about the depot, etc. in this town.)

20141020 0181
5:02  While taking an overview of the Mendota static display and yard, I noticed that a train was coming.
5:03  It wasn't coming very fast.
BNSF #1528  GP28-2/GP23-2P, built 6/54, originally NP 203
BNSF #2119  GP38/GP38AC, built 2/71, Ex-BN < nee SLSF CP32AC 642
5:04  I took another photo of the second unit because I recognized that it still had one of the older BNSF paint schemes. When looking at the photo, I noticed the worker walking along the track.
I also noticed that they had a stack of track panels stacked next to the road and an excavator. I wonder if they are getting ready to change the rails in the crossing.
Digitally zoomed into the right side of the above photo
It was a pretty long cut of cars, but...
...there was just a red flag, no EOT, at the end of the train.
5:13  I spent some time taking photos of the static displays of passenger cars that are also displayed in this town. I had killed enough time that I noticed the train was coming back into the yard.

I now assumed that the crew member we saw previously walking along the track was going down to throw the turnout so that the train can go from the mainline to the yard lead. But when I look at a satellite image of the turnout, there appears to be some equipment next to the turnout. Is this turnout heated but hand thrown? Given all of that equipment and the fact that it is on the mainline, I assume it is remotely controlled by the dispatcher. Maybe the crew member was walking down to the crossing to stop traffic for what is now obviously a switching maneuver. Looking at the zoomed image again, I see he is carrying a red flag. It is possible that the gates down't respond to slow locomotive movements because some of those yard movements would never cross the road. This would be a reason to make a railfan trip to this town to see if I could catch more switching activity.

There is a crew member riding on the side ladder of the last car that is close to the first car of another cut of cars.
This is the first time I have had too much sun to take a photo of a locomotive. The sun really washed out one end of #2119.
As I left town, I noticed there was a fallen flag in the other cut parked in the yard. Fortunately the train had some empty center beam (lumber) cars or this car would have been completely "skunked."
Both predecessors of the BNSF merger were represented.
I've learned that when I first arrive at this town, I should first cruise around to see if there are any interesting freight cars because they may get hidden by the time I leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment