Thursday, September 13, 2018

Bartonville, IL: Largest Feed Mill in 1920: Allied Mills

(3D Satellite)

Robert Learmont posted three photos with the comment:
Bartonville, IL. 9-11-2018. A quick search shows this as formerly being “Allied Mills” - the largest feed mill in the world when it was built in 1920. The whole complex looks abandoned, but someone keeps the lights on in the elevator at night. Real creepy place to drive by at dusk. The tall building towers directly over the north side of US 24.

1

2

3

Dennis DeBruler commented on Robert's post
I saved the 3D satellite image because it still shows the smokestack.

1 of 9 photos in the area posted by Josh Clark
Last weekend, I had the opportunity to document another great run of the KJRY’s Mapleton turn job. They ran with a healthy 5 units, including three classic GP20s in the middle.

Kathy Maple posted, cropped
Harry Wahl The old Purina dog food factory.

Rick Engelbrecht posted

Roger Holmes posted
KJ en route to the TZ this last Thursday to make a delivery and pick up.
Jackson Vandeventer posted
Today’s chase of the F’s final run into Peoria.
[Eastbound]

Jackson Vandeventer posted
Today’s chase of the F’s final run into Peoria.
[Westbound]

Roger Kujawa posted
Last Run of the Keokuk Junction F units into Peoria 8-6-19. At Allied Mills near Bartonville on the way to deliver cars to the TZPR.

Matt Smith posted three photos with the comment:
Allied Mills, Inc. Peoria County.
On my to-do list forever. The peaked roof gives it the look of ancient temples I toured in Greece. I've been passing it by for 26 years, but of late I've noticed the ominous presence of the wrecking crane there in front. Abatement notices on the fence suggest it might not have long to go. So today I got up with the sun and snapped this. (Because people seem interested I've now added two more familiar views, approaching from the north and the south.)

1
Jane Perry Nissen I drive by there about once a month. Unless there’s been some new development, that crane has been there for quite a while. I always intended to get a picture of the chimney that said Allied Miles and then one day it was gone.
James Randell The crane has been there for years...I’m sure being as how this building sits literally feet from the highway plays a part in the delay.

2

3


1939 Aerial Photo from ILAP
I got this photo to confirm that rail access was on the south side.
Roger Kujawa posted
Robert Massey: A former WW2 era US Army 65 Ton center cab, from Whitcomb. @ 650 HP.




3 comments:

  1. Once, recently, I saw a truck being loaded from the elevator. Maybe it's haunted, maybe it's not as abandoned as we thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not haunted and it's definitely not abandoned. I know this because I keep the lights on. I would have been the one loading the truck you saw. It is owned by an agricultural company and is a fully functioning grain elevator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir. Just looked it up. That's Ag Land FS. Okay, so the factory is abandoned, but the grain elevator still works.

      Delete