Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Fort Wayne, IN: GM Pickup Truck Assembly Plant

(Satellite)

Screenshot from video in WANE
GM wants to build 1,000 more pickups a month at Fort Wayne Assembly
"
To put this into context, according to GM’s website, Fort Wayne Assembly already builds more than 1000 trucks each day.(It is interesting that they would not say how many trucks they made per month in another report. [DetroitNews])

Even though I was no longer living in Fort Wayne when GM announced they would build this plant, I heard about it because it was a big deal for a town that had lost International Harvester and General Electric. It opened in 1986. [GMauthority] The facility is 4.6 million sq. ft on 716 acres. It runs three shifts with 4,101 hourly and 332 salaried workers. [media.gm.com] This plant was bad news for Janesville, WI, because that is where GM used to build pickup trucks. I remember that Indiana added a new exit on I-69 for for the plant. Looking at a current satellite map, I see that is now where I-496 joins I-69 on the southwest side of Fort Wayne. Fortunately for Fort Wayne, pickup trucks have remained strong in the market place.



No comments:

Post a Comment