Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Weldon, IL: Lost/IC Depot and Grain Elevator

Depot: (Satellite, looking northwest from Walnut Street.)
Original Elevator: (Satellite)
Today's Elevator: (Satellite, I'm surprised that ADM is operating such an isolated elevator in terms of Interstate highways and railroads. I wonder to where they haul the grain.)

Larry Foht posted
Illinois Central Railroad Depot
Weldon Illinois
On The Route from Champaign to Havana [CH&W/Havana, Lincoln & Champaign Railroad]
Larry Foht collection :
[Complete with milk cans and grain elevator.]
Brad Craig: See the Way Bills box by the door? It's been in my "collection" for over 50 years.
Family friends lived in Monticello. Glad now during a visit in 1974-75 my friend and I drove around the area taking pictures of depots and everything else that was laying around rusting and rotting.
A few of those depots were being manned by a traveling agent. I respected that and only took pictures of them. Most, were already abandoned and inside ransacked.So, I went in and helped myself to what ever "goodies" the" vandals" hadn't destroyed. If I wouldn't have, someone else would or it would have been trashed when they demolished them a few years later.
Jim Kelling shared
Weldon Illinois (Illinois Central station)

Dennis DeBruler commented on Larry's post
I'm glad the grain elevator is in the frame. That gives me some confidence that the depot was north of the tracks and a little west of Walnut Street. The expansion of the grain elevator has reused the depot's land. 1941 aerial photo

Three street view drivers went on IL-48, but none of them went into the town. Judging from a satellite image, the expansions of the elevator used several different grain storage technologies.
Street View, Dec 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment