Friday, August 22, 2014

Downers Grove Classic Car Night

Most Friday evenings during the Summer, Downers Grove reserves the parking on its downtown streets for classic cars (pre-1985). And the parking lots also fill up with classic cars. I finally remembered to grab my camera when we went to town to buy supper and look at the cars.

20140815 0606c

Many of the cars in this parking lot are classics parked there for the evening. I was trying hard to find a gap in the traffic to get a shot of the parking lot, but sometimes the traffic is part of the show.


And a view of that same lot from a corner. Note that it is party time for some of the exhibitors.


And down by the train station.


The track-side lot has vintage cars all the way from the station to the Washington Street crossing.


 One exhibitor that was on Main Street included some 1950s props.



Each week specific models of cars are featured on Curtiss Street between Main and Washington. And live entertainment is offered at the Main Street Train Station. Every year, old trucks and tractors are featured in August. Unfortunately, I was in Florida this year during that week. These pictures were taken on "Ford night."


I just confirmed that the web page for the event disappears after a year so I am including a screen shot.



A lot of cars at the show are 1970s cars and Pontiac GTO and Cevy Super Sport (SS) are always well represented. But I seldom see Ford Torinos (the car I had in the 70s). One advantage of it being "Ford night" is that there were some Torinos.


The was only one car from the Model T/A era because they have a special night when that is the only models on the street.


Other cars that caught my eye on the "Ford block".














I overheard a conversation and learned that the engine in the Lincoln Continental is 460 cubic inches.



No comments:

Post a Comment