Thursday, April 7, 2016

Sheff, IN: NYC's F Tower: NYC (Egyptian Line) vs. Big Four

Bill Sturgeon posted
If Sheff was a town, it no longer is. The route to the north was put out-of-service by Conrail. The other three are now operated by KB&S.

Bill's comment:
Good afternoon all. I wanted to post this pic. Apologies for not being directly Milwaukee Road material, but there is some relevance. This is the NYC built/PC/Conrail Interlocking tower at Sheff. Located at the crossing of the Big Four and the NYC Egyptian Line (aka, the Danville secondary). Of note in this pic, it still bears the towers call sign designation of "F", as well as its NYC style sign board and lettering style. This pic has no exact date, however I can confirm it maintained this look long after PC start up. If I were to guess, I would say mid to late 70's. Picture used with permission.
Satellite
The Google satellite image shows the route to the north is still intact to the county road south of Kentland. I discovered that track because cars are being stored on the track. I would assume KB&S gets this storage income.

Update: Chad Quick posted two photos with the comment:
From April 05, 1973 we are eastbound on the James Whitcomb Riley on the Chicago West subdivision and are approaching the crossing of the “Egyptian” line at Sheff tower. Both photos by Jim Latimer and from my collection.
Chad Quick Phil do you happen to know when Sheff Tower was closed? I’m assuming it made it into Conrail but don’t know for sure.
Phil Boldman Can't remember for sure. It did not close it was arson by headhunting officials. Eric Burg knows the date.
Eric Berg I was thinking somewhere between 1976-1978. I know it was burned to the ground by officials.
Phil Boldman 78 sounds about right. All I know is they set a go rail on at Templeton and went west. And I seen the smoke 5 miles away by the tome I got there there was no way to save anything it had collapsed.

1

2
Eric Berg posted
NYC's "F" tower at Sheff, Indiana, ca. 1920's. Three interchange tracks are in the foreground connecting the NYC's Egyptian line with the Big 4, followed by the crossing of the Big 4's single main running from Kankakee, Illinois to Lafayette, Indiana and beyond with the NYC's Egyptian line running from Indiana Harbor, Indiana to Cairo, Illinois. Photo looking southwest from most likely the roof of the roundhouse.
Eric Berg posted
Sheff interlocking as of April 27th, 1947, showing the crossing of the Big 4. From my Egyptian line track chart collection. Unfortunately, I was only able to obtain charts from Belshaw to just south of Tab...
Eric Berg posted
NYC "F" tower at Sheff, Indiana at the crossing of NYC's Egyptian line and the Big 4 line. View looks N/N/W from the Egyptian lines trailing point crossover on the south side of the plant. No date or photographer known.


No comments:

Post a Comment