Thursday, September 28, 2023

Aledo, IL: CB&Q Depot

(Satellite)

Street View, May 2023

Anthony M Miranda posted
Short section of track remains at the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad depot at Aledo, IL. on the long abandoned Galva to New Boston line in 2006.
[Marvin's comments make me appreciate how important pauses and voice inflection is in oral communication. I tried reading this phonetically, but it was still a struggle. But they have a fantastic amount of information.]
Marvin McGill Jr.: That line at one time came out of Peoria Il went through towns like Wyoming il the Rock Island rr shared a depot there they bothe came from the minds then the CBQ and BN for a short time it into other towns I'm thinking about every 5 to 6 miles a town the other large town it made a stop at before Galva is Woodhull Il in the early 70s I knew people in meany of these towns late 70s the minds started to close these track became gone soon after when I worked for the BN I made 2 trips from Galva to New Boston years before the CBQ ran from New Boston to East Burlinton il joined on the line there also it ran to Carman Il to Carthage Il crossed the TPW went to E St Louis via East Quincy il Carthage had 2 rrs cross the Walbash And CBQ the Walbash sold to TPW then it ran down to Hamilton il branch off to Warsaw il or Keokuk ia.
Eric Skretteberg: Marvin McGill Jr. Interstates obsoleted many a railroad.
Marvin McGill Jr.: Eric Skretteberg that and the engines took to much fuel now they have improved then 100% pull more less fuel trucks as far as long haul in the next 15 years u won't see them as much the GP units we had to use on branch lines like this we'd need 4 of them the sucked the fuel the road units I ran on SD45s SD40-2s better fuel more horse power nut still wasn't to be used on.lite rail I still go to these towns the rail fan kids I talk to st towns like Rio they love hearing my stories were the tracks were how we did things back then 2 kids there dad works for the RR he didn't even know these things these station is own by a guy now he has a way car at the side he painted it back to the original paint it's a NP he got the rr crossing cross bucks from someone that lived there when they took them down it has BURINGTON ROUNT on the sign people r allway bring him things they got that came from that town he has a wood work shop there the guys meet every morning for coffee there check it out sometime down the road 5 miles is another depot he has things out to back in the late 80s at the stock yard they left the 2 switches and the run around siding I still had my old key id Un lock them toss the switch back and forth that was the only track left before u go into New Boston turn at that T road u can follow the branch off to East Burlington il Bridge u can still see traces of the line Oqwca il the level was the road bed there's still ties in there they never take them out weaked the leviy. My rount a lot when I 1st started was go to Rio il they had a y there I'd brach off on the original line of the ROCK ISLAND SOUTHERD the line from Galesburg il wasn't built tell 1923 it took over the RIS from there we went through meany farm towns pick up set out we alway set out at Alexis il took r lunch break at a Cafe 1 hour lunch funny thing I started dating a girl 4 years ago she want to go to her home town I took her she was showing me around her past then we went up main street she said I worked there fee years I rescheduled over gave her the longest kiss said remember me her jaw dropped said o my God no way I said I'm your old boyfriend I'm the guy the u and I sat together 5 days a week by our self I'm the guy that took u on a few rides in the engine but we'd run to Bushnell il the Roseville lead is still there they ran a duddkebug at the end that lead is at the side of the house we'd tie up most the time I'm Bushnell to run back the next day by the time we got down there mist places were close to eat that house use to cook us a meal we didn't have to sleep in the way car we took our lodging pay have it to the house along with out meal pay we earned that for sure gave us a lot better sleep we got 2 meals instead of 1 got to take a bath now the house is run down 1 day I'm going to talk to the people tell them this story I go three a lot to take videos I park out front there 2 rr that cross there it's a busy line.

Judging from some photos, the interior changed recently.
Roy block, Nov 2019

Clint From Illinois, Apr 2023

I didn't notice the caboose in the street view at the top of these notes.
Chris Krebill, Mar 2018, cropped

Sure enough, the caboose is gone.
Street View, May 2023

The previous street view has it and the red trees are smaller.
Street View, Jul 2018

1953 Aledo East and West Quads @ 24,000




No comments:

Post a Comment