Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Ilchester, MD: B&O Coaling Tower

(Satellite, somewhere under the trees)

I spent some time looking, but I couldn't find either of these coaling towers on a satellite map. The comments confirm that the first one still exists. I don't know if the second one still exists.

Marty Hager posted
Former coaling tower still lies along the B&O old main near Ilchester MD.
Marty Hager: I took this photo about 10 years ago. Does anyone know if that tower is still there?
Jay Charles: Marty Hager yes it's still there. I run through there almost every day.

Google Maps found Lees Hill, MD, instead of Lees, MD. And at topo map shows the abandoned Western Maryland Railroad going through the area rather than the B&O. I did follow the B&O route west of Ilchester, but I could not find the tower.
Charlie Hill commented on Marty's post
B&O coal tower Lees MD, from Sentinel 1992 Jan-Feb. To get here workers had to cross the Patapsco River in a rowboat!


No comments:

Post a Comment