Thursday, November 13, 2014

Poseyville: CaseIH/Versatile Dealer


Update: from the I-64  exit ramp.



On the north side of the I-64 interstate exit for Poseyville is a CaseIH and Versatile dealer.

20141108 0213c
As is rather typical of dealers, the front part had the tractors and combines. In this case, he had three rows of equipment.



You can't see it in the photo, but the three Magnum 380 tractors in the middle of the middle row each had a little "sold" sign in the window. When I found a worker, I asked if the same farmer had bought all three. He had. They are the top of the Magnum line and can top out at 435 horsepower. It has a continuously variable transmission and a computer allows the farmer to set a speed so that the computer can determine the RPM for the best fuel efficiency.

Up near the road is a Farmall 460.
































And out back they had a Turbo 1066. This was probably a farmer's tractor in for repairs.


Equipment I haven't seen yet at CaseIH dealers is a track combine and sprayers.














These two quad-trak tractors caught my attention because of the significantly different widths of the tracks. The worker said it was because the skinny one (Steiger 370) was for row crop work and the wider one (Steiger 500) was for tillage work. I noticed that the row-crop model also had a 3-point hitch. Both of these tractors were marked as sold, and the worker spent quite a bit of time out in the lot checking things. He was about 6-feet tall.












The lot also had an old 9170 articulated tractor. Even the newer model, 450, is probably "pre-owned" because its exhaust system is not near as elaborate as the current models.














To the right is the exhaust system of the above Model 500 quad-track tractor. The worker that was out in the lot mentioned that the fluid injector cost about $2000 and that the engine is built by Iveco in Germany because Cummins could not beet the emission requirements. He raised the hood of the 500. He may have done it for my benefit because I did not see him check anything on the engine. Nonetheless, I took advantage of the hood being up.



I took a picture of the articulation joint because it is much more complicated than what I have seen in previous models. The top of the Steiger line-up is 620, and it can top out at 682hp with bulge and Power Boost.

The back lot had three long rows of planters, tillage equipment, sprayers, and combine headers. But nothing was unique to this dealer except the Turbo 1066 that I have already included above with the Farmall 460 photos. I will observe that they had over a half-dozen corn heads in inventory, and most of them were 12 rows instead of 8 rows.








I am including a couple of pictures of a seed drill because I plan to use them when I write about the history of planters.


No comments:

Post a Comment