Sunday, May 14, 2017

Argentine, KS: Santa Fe Coaling Tower and Hump Yards

Note another coaling tower that served three or four tracks.
Carl Venzke posted
Construction of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company diesel shop at Argentine, Kansas City, Kansas. The ATSF diesel locomotives 121 and 326 are in the foreground. The shop opened in the summer of 1954.
I think the coaling tower had been removed by 1959. Also, over half of the stalls for the roundhouse had been torn down. All of the steam service facilities have now been replaced by diesel locomotive service facilities. The hump yard has been moved since 1959. The big bare spot under 42nd Street used to be part of the hump yard. Some back shops were removed to make room for the current hump yard.

Update:
Carl Venzke postted
Kansas City, MO 1951 Flood Disaster Railroad Yard in Argentine District
[I don't know if this is the same yard or not. It does not surprise me to see a couple of empty tank cars floating. But I'm surprised that the doors of the empty boxcars would seal well enough to keep water out of them.]
Wayne Hudak posted
WW2 is in full swing and the railroads step up to the plate to deliver.
Santa Fe locomotives line up at the sanding towers at the Argentine Kansas facility, 1943.
OWI, Jack Delano Photo
Dennis DeBruler There were certainly plenty of sand towers in NWI. When I tried answering the question of "what is sand used for?", I discovered that it was easier to find photos of water and coaling towers than of sand towers. I noted that sand towers are the one item from steam locomotive servicing that is still needed by diesel locomotive servicing.
Wayne Hudak That sand is a real fine sand. RR track across the street from me. Once a standing locomotive let loose a ton of sand, I have 2 buckets of it in my shed.... LOL



No comments:

Post a Comment