Monday, May 1, 2017

Dolton, IL: C&WI Depot

(Satellite)

David Daruszka posted
C&WI Dolton station with combine coach. Date and photographer unknown.

John Eagan posted
Before I got my driver's license in 1970, you would have seen me on my paper route in the Almar area of Dolton and South Holland, or anywhere around the area since my Grandparents lived by the South Holland depot and I had two aunts and an uncle in town.  I learned about the big train junction in Dolton, so on 10/15/1969,  I peddled my Schwinn 5-speed Sting Ray bike to the crossings behind the Dolton Village Hall.  The tower operator, Ray Shue, invited me up and I had a standing invite to return anytime...which I did on numerous occasions.  He told me about the old Chicago & Western Indiana depot still standing where Lincoln Avenue crossed the railroad and so I went there and snapped this picture.  The two story depot was railroad business on the bottom floor and agent's apartment on the second floor.  Some of you might remember the C&WI commuter trains that terminated here and parked on the sidings between Lincoln and 138th St. overnight.  These passenger runs to Dearborn Station were discontinued on 7/26/1963.  The depot was torn down in 1970.  Photo by John Eagan

BRHS posted
Randy Bosma: Never saw this picture before. Where in Dolton was it located?

1938 Aerial Photo from ILHAP

Dennis DeBruler commented on Randy's comment
It was in the northwest quadrant of the crossing.
1929 Calumet Lake Quadrangle @ 1:24,000

Jimmy Fiedler posted
C&WI RR & C&EI RR DOLTON IL DEPOT
Ray Weart: This was actually a joint agency with the C&WI and the C&EI. The C&WI suburban trains used to terminate there.
Edward Kwiatkowski shared

Larry Candilas commented in Jimmy's post
Found this on the internet - NB C&WI suburban train, unknown year.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Jimmy's post
I think the depot was in the northwest quadrant of Lincoln Ave and the tracks.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Edward's share
I think the depot was in the northwest quadrant of Lincoln Ave and the tracks.
The tower was in the southwest quadrant of the junction and parallel to the former Pennsy panhandle.
This Jun 2017 satellite image shows the tower that was here: https://www.google.com/.../@41.6402035.../data=!3m1!1e3...

As a test of the resolution of the Illinois aerial photos, I found a Federal aerial photo for comparison
EarthExplorer: Mar 29, 1952 @ 23,600; AR1SA0000040062




















No comments:

Post a Comment