Sunday, July 14, 2019

Christian C: Pana, IL: Penwell and Pana #1 Coal Mines

Penwell: (Satellite)
Pana #1: (Satellite) I added Pana #1 at the bottom of these notes because I saw that photo later.

Roger Kujawa posted
Penwell Coal Mine Pana Illinois. Railroad Tracks For Loading Coal Postcard. Three railroads were in Pana, so I don’t know which one served this mine.
Dave Huffman The Pana mine had a hard go of it. It was so deep that hoisting costs made it hard to make money & money was hard to come by.

John W. Meachum posted
Penwell Mine, Pana Illinois, in 1893.
Steven Kent I wonder if the corral was for the “pit ponies”?
John W. Meachum I believe, but am not certain, that the mule barn was on the west (left) side of the mine. I think the corral on the right side of the picture was used to load livestock and not part of the mine property.
John W. Meachum posted
Penwell Mine in Pana, 1893. The yards and the IC mainline are in the foreground. The four mines in Pana had a dedicated switch engine and that might be the engine pictured.
Tom Wilson My Grandfather was an engineer on the IC for 60 years and it was my understanding from my father also an IC employee that Grandpa had a coal drag from Clinton to Vandialia for many years.

Jacob Hortenstine shared

371 PENWELL COAL MNG. CO. PENWELL 1 SHAFT RPP 1888-1941 HERRIN  11N 1E 21
371 VICTORY COAL MNG. CO. PENWELL SHAFT RPP 1942-1944 HERRIN  11N 1E 21
371 OLDROYD COAL CO. PENWELL SHAFT RPP 1944-1945 HERRIN  11N 1E 21

[Directory]

Map
It is at the bottom of this aerial. The mine at the top, index 729, was the Pana Coal Mine.
1938 Aerial Photo from ILHAP


Pana #1


Andy Zukowski posted
Coal Shaft NO 1. Pana, Illinois. 1909 Postcard
Justin West: Operated from 1884 to 1948.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Andy's post
It is index 729. 
https://wikiimage.isgs.illinois.edu/ilmines/webfiles/topo-mines/pana.pdf

Dennis DeBruler commented on Andy's post
It is the mine in the northwest quadrant of the railroad junction. The mine south of the junction was Penwell Coal Mine, which operated 1888-1945. 
https://clearinghouse.isgs.illinois.edu/webdocs/ilhap/county/data/christian/flight13/0bgb01076.jpg

Another mine that used mules underground.
Louis Smith posted
ILLINOIS, Coal Mine, Man & Beast Toiling in Darkness--Wasson Stereoview E43
Dave Crociani: My grandfather, my dad and my uncle were miners in Illinois. My dad could tell stories about mules. Being a small guy he carried a stick just wider than himself and sharpened on both ends. When a mule tried to rub him out against the shaft walls he'd place the stick between the mule and wall and he got the point! That was tough work. My dad went into the mines at 14.


No comments:

Post a Comment