Friday, October 11, 2024

Groveland, IL: Lost/Santa Fe Depot

(Satellite, a guess based on the aerial photos below.)
 
Richard Fiedler posted
Santa Fe depot in Groveland IL on the Ancons to Pekin branch. This is a copy of the original print that hangs in Woody's restaurant in Groveland. Groveland is situated between Pekin and Morton IL.
Richard Fiedler shared
Richard Fiedler shared
Joshua Gress: Where was this situated?
 
Gabriel Birkey commented on Joshua's comment
Around here is my guess

Dennis DeBruler commented on Gabriel's comment [AR1CB0000050064]
I would expect it to be closer to "downtown." I had a similar aerial photo, and I concluded that it was the faint rectangle in the southwest quadrant of Roberts Street and the tracks. I found this 1946 aerial, and it increases my confidence that the depot was in that quadrant, https://maps.app.goo.gl/C277nux3yp2hVucy9. You can see the wide platform that is on two sides of the depot.

This topo map does not have a rectangle along the track as some maps would.
1960/61 Marquette Heights Quad @ 24,000

This was the aerial that I got before I saw Gabriel's aerial.
1939 Aerial Photo from ILHAP

No comments:

Post a Comment