Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Harriston, MS: Yazoo Coaling Tower

Trent Lewis posted
Harriston MS on the Old Y&MV IC Lines where the Vicksburg District that ran from Baton Rouge to Vicksburg crossed the Little J that ran from Jackson to Natchez.
Robert Tomb Photo is from the John W. Barriger III collection.
Harriston, MS, is normally further away from my turf than I cover, but I could not resist a picture of a large, wood coal tower. Between coal towers, grain elevators, and hay lofts, it amazes me how strong wood structures can be.

My 1928 RR Atlas indicates both routes were the Yazoo. My 1973 RR Atlas indicates they were ICG. That would explain why both are now abandoned. Although you can still see the tree lines outside of town and the roads they paralleled through town.

No comments:

Post a Comment