Friday, September 1, 2017

Memphis, TN: CN/IC Harrison/Johnston/Nonconnah Rail Yard

(Satellite)
See the IC Coaling Tower and Roundhouse post for additional views of the yard. The following photo that has the coaling tower is also worthy of a yard posting also.
Robert Tomb posted, cropped
ICRR - Nonconnah Yard, looking east toward A Yard from the hump yard tower. This was taken after the hump was cut down, probably late 1940's or early 1950's. From my collection, photographer unknown.
[Unfortunately, I'm having to guess that Nonconnah was another name for the IC yard in Memphis.]
Joe Marascalco Thanks for sharing, do you remember how those RIP tracks were numbered?
Robert Tomb IIRC, they were numbered from right to left, Rip1 thru Rip 3, from the coal chute.
Jerry Younger In the big shop it was 41 thru 50, with no 49 track .. If my memory serves me correctly ..51 & 52 were up on the hill & used for clean out ( wash out ) tracks for hopper cars ...
Henry R. Pleasants Sr. 31 to the hump!
Ryan Robinson posted two photos with the comment: "Old Illinois Central maps of Johnston Yard in Memphis. Copied out of an old map book I had access to a while back. Enjoy!"

1

2
Below I rotated them and put the west side first. It sacrifices resolution so that it is easier to correlate with a current satellite view.

2

1

Satellite
Below is a satellite image using the same scale that I used to compare the size of some BNSF yards.
5/8 inch = 2000 ft

Update:
Steve Forrest posted
The "Memphis Big Boy" derrick based out of Johnston Yard in Memphis back in Oct 1973. Kodachrome by Steve Forrest.
Kenny Hearn I remember that being in the truck shop a lot when I worked there.
[I wondered if they stored that in a building because that is the best preserved ACI marking that I have seen so far..]


No comments:

Post a Comment