Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Enid, OK: Farmers Market/Rock Island Depot and "Shark" Bridge

Depot: (Satellite)
Bridge: (Satellite)

See Frisco for a topo map of the town.

Street View, Sep 2023

Friends of Passenger Rail Oklahoma posted two images with the comment:
Enid, Oklahoma 
Enid could be considered the capital of northwest Oklahoma.  The once cosmopolitan community boasted rail routes radiating to all corners of the compass.  Lines represented included the Santa Fe Railway, Frisco Railway, and Rock Island Railroad.
Kris Buckley: Growing up in Enid in the 90’s I was always intrigued by the old train station with the red clay tile roof. They renovated it sometime in the early 2000’s and added basic tar shingles to the roof and it is far more dull now then it used to be. I always hoped they’d reopen it as a passenger train station but I doubt Enid will ever get passenger rail service again.
1

2

While looking for the depot on a satellite map, I noticed the label "Shark Bridge." I checked it out.
Street View, Oct 2016

When I noticed the clearance sign with a flashing yellow light, I realized that this was a truck eating bridge. According to street views, they added the paint job between Jun 2013 and Oct 2016. I wonder how much it has helped prevent truck accidents.
Tyler Koehn, Nov 2022, cropped

No comments:

Post a Comment