Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Will C: Braidwood, IL: Murphy-Linsky-Kasher Coal Mine

(Satellite, northwest quadrant of Coal City Road and the Original Center Street)

Roger Kujawa posted
Braidwood Illinois Real Photo Coal Mine

Dennis DeBruler commented on Roger's post

Dennis DeBruler commented on Roger's post
I think this mine was in the northwest quadrant of the intersection of Coal City Road and the original Center Street. I'm not surprised that I could not find any traces on a current satellite map because it has been closed for over 100 years. But I could not find the buildings on a 1918 topo map nor any trace on a 1939 aerial photo. And I could not find evidence of the other four tipples that are marked just north of Coal City Road.

Things changed a lot in this area over the decades so each excerpt is the same area so that I can cmpare them. Specifically, the excerpts are from the Grundy-Will county line to Novy Road and from Coal City to Kennedy Roads.
1892 Wilmington Quad @ 62,500

1918 Wilmington Quad @ 62,500

1954 Wilmington Quad @ 24,000

1939 Aerial Photo from ILHAP

Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment