Thursday, March 3, 2016

Chicago, IL: 63rd and Halstead

Boris Bakunas posted
1917 Chicago Postcard of 63rd and Halsted Avenue
on the South Side.
The main reason for posting this 1917 picture is that I was surprised that I could find just a few horse and buggies in it. Actually, the more I look, the more horses I find. So I guess it is about equal.
I have noticed that pictures from the early 1910s have very few cars, if any, in them. I knew the Model T Ford helped transform America. I just never realized how quickly that transformation was done. The Model T was introduced in 1908 and 15 million had been made by 1927. And of course many other car manufacturers sprung into existence.

All the men wearing suits and the ladies wearing long dresses is also interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment