Monday, November 27, 2017

Fort Wayne, IN: Broadway Natural Gas Explosion

(Satellite)
Kathy Sharp posted
Some asked about the Broadway Gas Explosion. Feb 1966. Contractors gas pipe cracked (or came apart) causing the gas to backup in the homes. We had a long post in 2015 about this, but I cannot find the search. My husband's first law case (1st chair was Bill McNagny and Tony Bruegeman) representing Regina Otis and the Gas Company against John Dehner, the contractor. Dehner lost. (Bob had this photo framed in his office. He was second chair.)
Dan Tester I was working at the Phillips 66 station when that corner blew up. Man hole cover went 100 feet into the air.. never ran so fast in my life...
Greg King I was home from school that day and still in bed sort of beginning to wake. We lived on the 10 hundred block of Huestis Ave, so not far from. Maybe 6 blocks. Still recall the house shook and windows rattling from the blast. I jumped out of bed, ran downstairs and went outside to see what was going on. Could see huge billowing black smoke clouds to the South of us and heard the sound of sirens.
Linda Panyard Myers I remember it well. The Otis children attended St Joe with my family. I remember we all kneeled and prayed for them. Very vivid memory, all these years later. [Their house was one of the three that was blown up.]
Cathie Besancon Hannie was in Fairfield Jr High. Lived on Wildwood, they wouldn't let us go home for awhile because we lived too close.I remember later I think it was Kenny Otis, telling us he was home from school and his mother told him to take the younger kids down toward the river while she ran next door to help Mrs. Shipley.
[Evidently both Mrs. Otis and Mrs. Shipley survived, but Mrs. Shipley was badly burned.]

Mary Demetre I heard that one of the Otis children was allowed to leave with some of the children who lived the opposite direction. She walked home and found that it no longer existed
.Michelle Emrick - Strunck My husband said Mrs. Swain died from the fire when she went back in to get a pet. Aunt Regina got out through a window and laid in the snow to cool her burns. The children were not home.
Karen Beatty Allen True. She did try to rescue her pet. All kids were in school. The youngest Otis kids were miraculously not home.
Karen Beatty Allen We lived just a block away. I went to school with the Otis kids. Bobby and Neal Swain were in my class. Had gone to school with all of them since 1st grade. Mrs. Swain died. Mrs. Shipley was a patient on the floor I was a Candy Striper. She survived horrid burns. FWFD evacuated my mom and younger siblings for several hours. Sad tragedy.
Donald Brockhaus commented on another posting
Here is also a newspaper article about the Broadway explosion. I had to download the pic to my computer to expand it enough to read.
Donald Brockhaus uploaded three photos as comments on the other posting with the text comment: "I did a little research. We remember correctly. There was another explosion on Broadway Street on 2/3/1966. Photos courtesy of Allen County Public Library."
1

2

3

No comments:

Post a Comment