Thursday, November 16, 2017

Kendallville, IN: NS/NYC/LS&MS and KTR+Aban/Pennsy/GR&I Depot and Tower UK

(Satellite)
Greg Bunce posted
Removed crossing of the GR&I and NYC at Kandallville, Indiana March 12, 1977. Looking south.
Jim Sinclair Nice share, Greg! I don't ever recall seeing the old depot at Kendallville, and it sure looks like a GR&I-PRR structure to me. Or at least it's very unlike the LS&MS depots seen along their mainline.
[
In the middle on the right you can see the curved connector track from NS to the Kendallville Terminal Railroad. The GR&I segment between Kendallville and Sturgis, MI was abandoned by Conrail.]
Ray Peacock commented on Greg's posting
 http://madisonrails.railfan.net/kendallville.html some great photos of this location. You can see the depot with passengers on the platform as the freight passes UK Tower grabbing orders on the fly.
MadisonRails
1964 NYCS track diagram which shows all of the Kendallville side-tracks and which RR company was responsible for the maintenance of those sections. With the exception of the main lines.
Update: the depot was in the southeast corner and the tower was in the northwest corner.

Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad History shared
Tower UK at Kendallville, Indiana
[Northbound Pennsy/GR&I train]
Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad History shared
Tower UK at Kendallville, Indiana
[Eastbound NS/NYC/LS&MS]
Rod Durham shared
Art Wallis Kendallville?Jeffrey David James That was my first thought.
David Manuel commented on a posting
1938 or '39.........Eastbound Century entering Kendallville, Indiana.....Photo by my Uncle, Phillip Pepple.......Use the photo if you wish, but please give my Uncle credit if you do.........
[The 20th Century Limited with a Dreyfuss J-3A Hudson.]
Terry Wisel Heintz posted

Jack Franks shared Michael Manuel's post
Here is a old Picture of the kendallville passenger station (on left and the interlocking tower for the NYC/GR&I crossing. There is a NYC freight going thru.



No comments:

Post a Comment