Monday, November 13, 2017

Pitken, CO: Denver, South Park & Pacific Depot

(Satellite)
See Como, CO, roundhouse for an explanation of why I recognize what DSP&P means.

Mark Mitscher posted
Pitken, Colorado on the DSP&P RR.
The eaves are so large that they cover the bay window and wooden platforms so it looks like yet another rectangle in the satellite image. But the buildings in the background with gables going in two different directions allowed me to finally locate where I think this is --- the north quadrant of State and 6th. The placement of the chimney on the satellite rectangle is also consistent with the photo.

Satellite
These "land scars" indicate the track used to run through town on the north side of State Street. So the track used to be between this building and State Street.

I was pleasantly surprised that the town looks rather prosperous for a town in the Colorado mountains. Did it exist because the DSP&P needed a water tower here or because there was some mining in the area or both? Does mining still exist? Unlike the old towns along I-70, I doubt if there is enough tourist traffic through this town to keep it alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment