Saturday, August 26, 2023

Keithsburg, IL: CB&Q Depot, C&NW/M&StL Depot and Cargill Grain Elevator

CB&Q Depot: (Satellite, Cargill's entrance is on the depot's land)
C&NW Depot: (Satellite, 13th Street extended and north of the spur's remnants.)
Cargill: (Satellite)

M&StL = Minneapolis & St. Louis

Retro Quad Cities posted
The CB & Q Railroad depot in Keithsburg.

The C&NW/M&StL went east/west, and the CB&Q went north/south. Both railroads were gone in the next topo map that is available, which is 1982.
1941 Keithsburg Quad @ 62,500

Dennis DeBruler commented on the above post
The entrance to Cargill now goes over the depot's land. Note how much the mouth of Pope Creek has moved.
1938 aerial photo
 https://clearinghouse.isgs.illinois.edu/webdocs/ilhap/county/data/mercer/flight9/00rt312708.jpg

I presume the building between the curved C&NW mainline and the spur into town was the C&NW depot.
Same 1938 aerial photo file

I got a couple of Federal aerials before I remembered that Illinois has their own. Since I got the aerials, I include them. I started with 1975 because it had better resolution. Note that the mouth of Pope Creek has already moved south. And Cargill has built their truck-to-barge grain elevator.
EarthExplorer: Nov 17, 1975 @ 15,000; AR1VDZQ001A0020

But I could not find any depots, so I went to the oldest photo they had. The resolution is good enough that you can see both depots.
EarthExplorer: Oct 17, 1950 @ 70,000; ARA000700232162

No comments:

Post a Comment