Monday, February 15, 2016

Fort Wayne, IN: Pennsy Coaling Tower with Skip Hoist

When I was a little kid, we lived on Pontiac Street east of Anthony Blvd, which was rather close to Pennsy's yard. I remember that Dad would take me and park on the side of Wayne Trace so that we could watch the steam locomotives, unfortunately, at a distance. One of the few things I remember is watching that skip hoist bucket going up and down. Note that in this photo it is at the top in its dump position. Until I saw this photo, I never realized how many tracks that tower covered.
Note the roundhouse in the background.
Tim Shanahan posted
Ray Peacock
Railroad History
Yesterday at 2:35am · Madison, WI ·
John Dziobko took this photo on September 3, 1955 as the train he was riding on, #55, The Gotham Ltd., was slowing for its stop at Ft. Wayne, IN. The PRR keystone has almost worn out on the soon to be decommissioned coaling bunker as a set of the new internal combustion motors lurk under it, themselves rare birds in the first generation of diesel models. But as RR history has shown us, PRR bought something from all the first generation diesel builders.
Ray Peacock's photo.
Tom LaMaire Love the Baldwin's too.

But now that I have been able to find the location of the tower, I'm confused. It straddles the leads into the roundhouse, which is where a coaling tower would be in the engine servicing facility. But I remember looking over a field at the edge of the tower where I could easily see the skip hoist. Did Pennsy also have a coaling tower over their mainline and that is what we watched?
Dennis DeBruler, Mar 27, 1951



No comments:

Post a Comment