Sunday, March 31, 2024

Flager, CO: Wood Grain Elevators, Larger Elevators and Fertilizer

Wood: (Satellite)
Wood and bolted steel: (Satellite)

This straight truck is like the one I used to drive on my grandfather's farm. I thought it was an honor when they allowed me to take a load of wheat to town. But then I learned how long you have to set in line at the elevator.
Street View, Sep 2023

John Bord posted
The old tin clad still being used
Flagler, CO.
John Bord shared

Dennis DeBruler commented on John's share
An elevator on the east side of town is also interesting. It is four bolted-steel silos with a wood headhouse. https://maps.app.goo.gl/o2DVtrKT8jKfL2D46

Look at all of the liquid fertilizer trailers.
Street View, Sep 2023

The tanks in the foreground probably hold liquid fertilizer. I think the bins in the background are for dry fertilizer rather than a feed mill.
Street View, Sep 2023

Next to the bins is a building to hold a lot of a dry product. Potash?
Street View, Sep 2023

Given all of the chutes coming down from the legs, this is probably a feed mill. And do the bags on pallets in the building hold seed?
Street View, Sep 2023

There was a short cut of hoppers at the grain storage facility and an even shorter cut at the fertilizer facility, so I investigated the ownership of the railroad. Sure enough, this former Rock Island is now owned by a shortline, specifically Kyle Railroad.
Satellite

There is more grain storage east of town, but I guess that is owned by a farmer.
Street View, Sep 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment