Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Mobile, AL: GM&O and Southern Depots

(Satellite, 122 photos)

Street View, Nov 2016

Kenton Dickerson posted
Gulf, Mobile, and Ohio Station in Mobile, AL
Jim Kelling shared

Donald Traser commented on Kenton's post
Trackside, 10/27/1989

It looks like Southern had its own depot east of the GM&O depot. Google Maps implies that Norfolk Southern now uses this building as office space.
Street View, Apr 2019

Seeing that Southern sign surprised me because I did not see Southern when I studied which railroads served Mobile. I saw only two GM&O routes, a Frisco route and a L&N through route.
1953 Mobile Quad @ 250,000

More detailed topo maps indicate that Southern paralleled the Frisco route into town. 
1953 Mobile Quad @ 24,000

Since the GM&O, Southern and Frisco trains terminated here, having stub terminals is no big deal. I suspect that the L&N depot was the building in the northwest quadrant of Dekle and Beauregard Streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment