Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Cainsville, MO: CB&Q Depot

(Satellite? I could not find it.)

Michael Emerson Avitt posted
January 13, 2006 - CB&Q depot at Cainsville, Missouri. Last used by the American Legion.

I could not find any evidence of a right-of-way on a satellite image. So I got a topo map. The oldest available was 1947, and the railroad was already gone.
1947 Blythedale Quad @ 62,500

When I checked out the CB&Q System map, I learned that Cainsville is on the end of a route out of Leon. That is, it is on more of a twig than a branch. That would explain why it was abandoned way before 1947. (I say "way" because it generally takes decades for the right-of-way to completely disappear.) After I saw that the railroad arrived from the north, I found Depot Road. I looked up and down that road a few times on a satellite image, but I could not find it. I even used street view to drive up Depot Road from the south end to the north end. Still no joy.
1902

I fired up Google Earth go find a satellite image older than the 2006 date given in the Facebook post. I went all the way back to a black and white image in 1996 because it was higher resolution. I noticed that quite a few buildings have disappeared. I still can't figure out which one was the depot.
Google Earth, Mar 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment