Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Breckenridge, CO: Aban/UP/Colorado & Southern/Denver & South Park & Pacific Depot

(Satellite, it is now a parking lot.)

I've been skipping depots in Colorado, but when I saw Denver, South Park & Pacific in the description, I went for it. See Como, CO, as to why DSP&P is of interest to me.

Richard Crabtree posted three images with the comment:
Here we are at the Colorado & Southern Depot in Breckenridge, Colorado
The Denver & South Park & Pacific came to Breckenridge, Colorado in August of 1882. Over the course of several years the name of line changed from the DSP&P to the Denver, Leadville & Gunnison and finally to the Colorado & Southern. It would be the the C&S that would end service here in 1937.
Photo 1) Colorado & Southern Depot in Breckenridge, Colorado around 1910.
Photo 2) 1914 Sanborn Map of Breckenridge, Colorado L.O.C.
Photo 3) Current view ~ google maps
Terri Reid: I wondered where the acreage for the parking lots came from..
1

2

3

1989 Leadville Quad @ 125,000

I knew that the DSP&P went over the mountain from Como into the Colorado River drainage basin. Now I better understand how it did that. (The Como area is drained by the Tarryall Creek, which joins the South Platte River. But that is a very circuitous route. The DSP&P used Turkey Creek to get from Denver to South Park.)
1938 Mount Lincoln and 1937 Como Quad @ 62,500

2 comments:

  1. Why are you skipping the ones in Colorado?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I'm thinking about it, that is a good question. The short answer is information overload. I'm coming across information in Facebook faster than I can deal with it so I'm concentrating on Illinois and the Midwest. I've studied Colorado railroads in the past, and it is a rabbit hole I would love to go down into. But I have to draw the line somewhere. The group this post is from, https://www.facebook.com/groups/4790529404347940/, itself is a deep rabbit hole. That is, it has a lot of interesting information.

      Delete