Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Gilman, IL: Coaling Tower

(Satellite)
Gilman was obviously a major division point for refueling steam locomotives as indicated by the coaling towers that are still standing. I see these coaling towers off in the distance from I-57. (Update: the division point was in Champaign. But an additional coaling station was needed between division points.) So when I took US-45 instead of I-57 to get pictures of grain elevators, I planned to also take pictures of these towers. But I learned that they are not close to US-45 either.

20141013 0185
So I found a dead-end county road that went past a cemetery and then became a dirt and grass road. This is the view from where the pavement ends.

I went down the dirt road, but I was still not close to the tower because the access road that went to the towers was in bad shape. (I shot this picture out the passenger window when leaving.)

So I put on my telephoto lens and took pictures as I continued north on a relatively decent road.






Satellite
It is now on my todo list to use Commerce Street to get photos from the west side. (Update: I did go up Commerce Street during a later trip, but it turns into a dirt (not gravel) road a few blocks before the tower, and I was not willing to risk driving it with my mini-van. If I ever take the 4-wheel down I-57, I'll try again.) A 1940s aerial view indicates the east tower was loaded with a conveyor belt from the west tower. You can still see the lead in the satellite photo on the west side where the loaded coal hoppers would be parked to feed the elevator. The rectangle on the left of the west tower probably housed the elevator. In the aerial photo, it appears the water tower was south of the coaling tower.


(Facebooked September 25, 2015.)

Update: Bob Finan posted a 2008 photo with CN locomotives with the towers from the southeast quadrant.

Keith Pokomy posted a 1999 photo with brand new "death star" IC locomotives from the southwest quadrant.
[A view when it was still operational. The diesel must be getting sand. (Update: not at 90+ mph! Please read JohnP's comment below)]
Raymond Storey posted
Mike Breski posted
As Illinois Central Mikado 1457 stands in the clear with a local freight, E units flash past with the Seminole for Chicago. The location is the twin coal towers astride IC’s main line just north of Gilman, Ill., in September 1954. Philip R. Hastings photo
Mike Noble That’s the legendary “Trains Magazine” editor David P. Morgan (left) and an ICRR brakeman standing trackside. This photo appeared in an article, part of a series published in Trains Magazine, about Morgan & Hasting’s search for steam in its waning years. The series ran under different headings in different years..”Smoke over the Prairies” and “In search of steam” were a couple. They were compiled in book form in the 70’s, “The Mohawk that refused to abdicate, and other tales” was the title. It’s a great addition to any rail fan library, Morgan’s musings and Hasting’s lensmanship were a timeless contribution to chronicling an end of an era.
Scott Slager posted
IC 1015 and 1032 lead M371 past the old coal towers in Gilman. 7-27-17
Terry L. Hunt Nice shot! However, I really dislike running those 1000's. The control stand in relationship to the seat is uncomfortable and awkward.
[This saves me trying to get a shot from the west side. When I drove to the access road, it was too cruddy to attempt with my van. And I don't normally take my old Honda CRV that far out of town. Note only did Scott get great sunlight, he caught one of the few engines that still have the "deat star" livery. CN has been repainting even the old units.]

Mark Weg posted
here is a photo of Mr Carlson's painting of that place that is hanging on my office wall
[I presume "that place" was these towers.]

Lonnie Smith posted four photos (two are in the comments):
1

2
3

4
Howard Keil shared Christoph Traugott's post.
Everett Lueck Gilman was the coal and water stop on the Illinois Central between Chicago and Champaign.


1

2

3
Andy Puch posted
We see plenty of photos of Illinois Central SD70s on the J, but not very many photos from Illinois Central trackage where they truly belong. A407 passes the Gilman coaling towers on the old Illinois Central mainline with the IC SD70 class unit leading the way. Gilman Illinois 7/21/19
 
Jim Kelling shared
Gilman, Illinois coaling towers (Illinois Central)
Is that a tower on each side of the tracks? One for North Bound and one for South???

Dennis DeBruler commented on Albert's comment
I never realized there were tracks on the west side of the big tower.

William Hayslip commented on a post of a coaling tower in Glen Morgan, WV.
My uncle ran Alleghenies all through West Virginia. Before he passed away in 1971 we went to visit him. While the rest of the family was catching up he took me to the coal dock at Thurmond. I asked him why they weren't torn down and he said they were biult to last over 100 years. They attempted to tear one down but found out real quick they weren't equipped to do it. Those things are solid concrete with rebar for strength. So whenever they hit it with a wrecking ball it just bounced off. At the end of the day it was going to cost more to tear it down than it did to biuld the thing. They salvaged as much metal off of it as they could. So most of them are still sitting there. Waiting for locomotives that will never return. The Illinois Central still has two concrete coal towers at Gilman but they are conventional shaped. I attached a photo of my recent charcoal drawing of those I C. coal docks.
 
Johnny Hansen posted
CN A407 heads north on a haze afternoon with two IC SD70s, 1005 & 1022, and a CN NA scheme SD40-2W. They are seen here splitting the ancient Illinois Central coaling towers on the Chicago Sub at Gilman. 5/8/23.

Brad Brown commented on Johnny's post
February 23

Five of the photos posted by Steve Howard with the comment: "As seen today [Jun 10, 2023].      Gilman Illinois     Feel free to take these and share them.."
Trent Blasco: that was parked there almost 10 years ago when i last visited.
Douglas Drexel Mitchell: I used to see that plow a few nights a week working the Hoosierlift local.
1

2

3

4

5


1 comment:

  1. The diesel is going quite fast there, maybe 90+. The guy on the left is David P Morgan of Trains magazine. Maybe the picture was taken my Hastings? Not sure, I just recall the picture from the magazine. Maybe is the "Steam in Indian Summer" series? Not sure...

    Diesels don't stop for sand, they load-up when they get fueled.

    ReplyDelete