Saturday, October 15, 2016

Sanborn, ND: Grain Elevator with combine and truck in foreground

Robert Kjelland posted
Took this photo of the grain elevator at Sanborn, ND back in 2005. I grew up near here. The elevator has changed little in the 50 years I've known it. Used to be livestock loading pens and chute across from the elevator in this trackside view. Love the harvesting of small grain in the foreground. Nice interplay of elements. Despite being 2005, the ages of the combine and truck being used could easily "backdate" this photo to 1975.
[The body of this truck is the type of body that was on the dual wheel truck that I drove for the same function you see in this photo of a grain elevator. ]
Dennis DeBruler Thanks for posting a picture with some interesting context. I now have a picture of the type of truck I drove on my Grandfather's farm when they were doing wheat. When I was in the field with a load was when I had a chance to use what they called the Granddaddy gear. (First gear of a four speed transmission.) I was even allowed to drive it to the elevator. When I got there, I noticed why they were happy to let me drive it --- the long line waiting to unload.
Robert Kjelland Drove a few of these too. I remember the brakes typically were... promising only in concept.

The railroad was Northern Pacific and the route is still on the BNSF system map.

ACWR

No comments:

Post a Comment