Monday, August 6, 2018

Lafayette, IN: Altamont Tower: NS/NKP(LE&W) vs. Aban/CR/NYC/Big4 vs Industrial

(Satellite)

Jim Sinclair posted five photos with the comment:
Altamont Tower on the south side of Lafayette, Indiana - April 1977. This was not a Big Four tower, however, one shift (second) and maybe the "swing job" were assigned to Big Four operators. Altamont is where the Big Four and Nickel Plate parted ways after sharing double track from Templeton, Indiana. The tower was built and maintained by the NKP.
I post these images as a memorial to my dear friend, Jim Bennett, who made that final O.S. on June 1, 2004. Jim worked at many different Big Four towers and stations (including a short stint as dispatcher) during his career that spanned from June 1, 1946 until his retirement (at Lafayette Jct.) on October 28, 1983. R.I.P. Jim. I miss you. ðŸ˜¢

1

2

3

4

5


1 comment:

  1. I was allowed by Jim to visit his place of business as a young man. He was a great guy and I always enjoyed his company. I spent several evenings over several years, just hanging out and watching work. (Good Memories)

    ReplyDelete