Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Flomaton, AL: 1943-2022 L&N/CSX Coaling Tower

(EncyclopediaOfAlabamaSatellite)

John Smith commented Brian M Fox's posting: " I worked for L&N/CSX There's a Coal Tipple still standing in Flomaton Yard on the CSX M&M Sub."
Dennis DeBruler It still has some of its metal parts. It looks like it used a skip hoist. https://www.google.com/.../data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ-r5xMM8...

Street View
Gary Glazier posted a comparable view.

Suzanne Ron Boles posted
John Smith posted two photos with the comment: "Coal tipple at the North end of the CSX Yard in Flomaton, Al."

1

2
After seeing an older photo that still had the skip, it is obvious that these towers shared the same design.
Karl Hauffe commented on a post
 Although this is a vintage photo of when it was in use, this coaling tower still exists in Decatur IL.

Raymond Benton posted four photos with the comment: "I heard rumor that the old coal chutes were coming down across CSX.  On April 8, 2015, I happened to find myself working in Flomaton Yard (Flomaton, Alabama).  I took a couple of pictures just in case I never saw one again.  I retired in 2016 and haven't been back.  Anyone know what ever happened to it?"
Jamie Coggins: Torn down in 2022
1

2

3

4

James Simms commented on a post: "That one was taken down in the Summer/Fall of 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment