Monday, June 10, 2019

Oswego, IL: Grain Elevators

(see below for satellite)

When I drove through Oswego, IL, I deliberately turned off US-34 and followed the Illinois Railway tracks through town to see if I could find some old railroad-oriented buildings. I'm glad I took the side trip because I found two former grain elevators and probably a warehouse. I was focused on the wood elevator in the middle when I took my photos because it was in pretty good shape considering how old it had to be. It also has a design that I don't remember seeing before.

20150720 3515

The galvanized bin next to the blue bins has the highest height-to-diameter ratio I remember seeing.



Satellite
Since I took these photos, I learned from Bob Summers that bolted or welded steel bins were a cheaper alternative to slip-form concrete silos for a fireproof design. The blue silos appear to be an example of welded steel bins.

Street View

No comments:

Post a Comment