Sunday, October 27, 2019

Sardis, GA: Savannah & Atlanta Railroad Coaling Tower

No satellite link because I could not find it. But it is such an interesting design that I did want to save the photo.

Gary Miller posted
Interesting design on this coaling tower in Sardis, GA.
I used this topo map to confirm that the railroad used to parallel Vestal Road and GA-24 through town.
USGS 1947 Savannah Quadrangle @ 1:250,000
Dennis DeBruler posted the following comment to an abandoned railroad group with the above coaling tower and topo images:
I was looking for a coaling tower in Sardis, GA. But I couldn't even find the railroad in that town. I used a 1947 Savannah Quadrangle @ 1:250,000 to confirm that the Savannah & Atlanta used to run parallel to Vestal Road and GA-24 through Sardis. Since I could not find this abandoned line on The Map, I dug a little deeper. The S&A appears to stop just north of Sylvania and the Sylvania Central stops just west of Sylvania.





No comments:

Post a Comment