Sunday, April 12, 2026

Collinsville, IL: Lumaghi Mines #1-#4 and National Road (US-40) & Route 66 (US-66)

Mine #1: (Satellite)
Mine #3: (Satellite)
Intersection of 40 and 66: (Satellite)
World's Largest Catsup Bottle: (Satellite)


Roger Kujawa posted
Postcard Lumachie Mine, Collinsville, Illinois - used in 1906
Seen on eBay
Eric Jackstadt: Lumaghi.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Roger's post
Lumaghi had three mines along the Pennsylvania tracks and one further North after the first three mines closed. https://wikiimage.isgs.illinois.edu/.../collinsville.pdf

Dennis DeBruler commented on Roger's post
But I think this tipple was for Mine #1, and it remained active as the prep plant for the other mines. https://maps.app.goo.gl/SVbKJ1yaLLvG7PBt6 1940 aerial photo

National Road (US-40)


The National Road probably originally used Levanon Road, Main Streets and St. Louis Road to go through Collinsville. By 1937, the Belt Highway was built to connect to IL-157 to bypass the downtown congestion. Today US-40 uses I-55 by this town.
1937/37 Collinsville Quad @ 24,000

Route 66 (US-66)


I was not aware that US-66 came through this town until I saw this post.
Scott A Buchanan posted two photos with the comment:
Today we celebrate the Ketchup bottle's birthday!
— in Collinsville, IL.
Tammy Gentry: That's back home and Dad's fav ketchup since he was a kid!! Brooks rocks!!
I made a post a few days ago about 2 staples in our house growing up were Heinz 57 and Brooks ketchup made around home in Centralia, about 45 minutes from home. People commented on don't forget Country Bobs and Mullins, which I had but I really dig them too! Anyway, some sweet lady commented that she's a Brooks ketchup fan but lives out out west and had NEVER heard about the giant Brooks and Route 66 they sport. She was asking if ANYONE had a photo they could share and alas none did. I hope you see this hon, I'm gonna share it on my page. Barb Faith you document and share photos but even you didn't have any. I tried to pull up all comments because you know how FB sets it automatically now to most relevant. Since it was a response on your comment. When you have time, would you go back to my post and see if you hit all comments, if maybe it will come up and then please
tag her with these pics?? TIA, you're a doll!
[Frankly, I never heard of Brooks.]
1

2

Street View, Apr 2019

Photo, Jan 2019

WorldsLargestCatsupBottle
It was constructed in 1949 and add to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
Overall height: 170'
Bottle height: 70'
Bottle base: 25'
Cap: 8' across
Holds: 100, 000 gallons

The bottle was restored in 1995. [plaque]

US-40 and US-66 Intersection


It is interesting that Google Maps does not label Route 66 in this town. It normally does label it. And the Route 66 Sign was the only evidence of Route 66 that I could find in the town.
Street View, Oct 2023

To find Route 66 and its intersection with US-40, I went back to an oldest topo map printed after 1926. 
1937/37 Collinsville Quad @ 24,000

I panned the map high to verify that it did not specify "66" after the US HIGHWAY label. And I was shocked to learn that both roads feeding into Troy Crossing are labeled state highways. The one through Maryville was 159, today's number, and the one to the east was 11. I would think that over a decade after US-66 was designated, the maps would label it better.
1937/37 Collinsville Quad @ 24,000

The Route 66 Sign is on a curve because they built a diagonal road to remove having to jog over to the West on Main Street. You can tell that the the town grew up around US-40 because the first streets were on the same angle as US-40. Normally, when I see streets on an angle, it is because the town grew up around a railroad that is on that angle.
1937/37 Collinsville Quad @ 24,000

No comments:

Post a Comment