Friday, October 26, 2018

Hebron, IL: Hebron Tower: WSOR/Milw vs. Aban/C&NW

(Satellite)
NorthAmericanInterlockings: William's three photos are below.

William Shapotkin posted three photos with the comment:
Located near Hebron, IL was Hebron Tower. This was the location where the MILW "J Line" x/o the C&NW "KD Line." What few pix that have been seen in railfan circles shows the xing with smash boards. Normally set against the C&NW, a approaching C&NW crew turn on a timer, then after so many minutes, the MILW would get a red signal and the crew would move the smash boards across the MILW trks. Well, at one time there actually was a tower at that xing and (as of Nov 15, 1998) the building still existed -- moved to a nursery several miles away. I would like to thank Paul Behrens (who wrote THE KD LINE book) for telling me where to find the structure.
Dennis DeBruler Now I understand, the KD Line was the C&NW route between Kenosha and Rockford. Opened in 1861 and abandoned in 1937. [OldNorthwestTerritory, "The KD Line" section]

1

2

3

William Shapotkin posted three photos with the comment: "Here are three pix of the one-time Hebron (IL) Tower (the building still exists (off site)) -- which once protected the crossing of the MILW J Line and the C&NW KD Line. Ritzman photos."

1

2

3




1 comment:

  1. Wow! I knew there was a tower there, but never saw a photo of it before. It's more than I thought it would be. I'm also surprised it was moved and still exists. I got stuck in muck once when I went back there to shoot a WICT train. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete