Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Bushnell, IL: BNSF/CB&Q and KJRY/TP&W/Northern Cross Depots

(Satellite)

Dave Durham posted
NORTHERN CROSS RR DEPOT\ CB&Q DEPOT BUSHNELL, ILLINOIS. UNKNOWN DATE, PHOTOGRAPHER, WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, SPECIAL COLLECTIONS LIBRARY.
Larry Cummings I guess this is the BNSF 2 main tracks and what is now the TP&W interlock at Bushnell.Dave Durham Wish I could give more details, but all the photo description said was what I posted and an address...Dennis DeBruler The TP&W route through this town is now owned by Keokuk Junction Railway. The TP&W now runs between Peoria and Logansport, IN. http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/.../keokuk-junction...
Dave Durhamhttp://collections.carli.illinois.edu/.../wiu_digimgc/id/109
Dennis DeBruler I just read Dave's photo reference. The Northern Cross would have been the northwest/southeast route through town. It was obtained by CB&Q in 1865. KJRY/TP&W is the east/west route through town. Of course, the northeast/southwest route was the Q (Quincy) part of the CB&Q.
Larry Cummings Dennis DeBruler 2 mains running through town. Main 1 goes to Quincy and main 2 to Beardstown.
Dennis DeBruler I had noticed that they separate just south of town: https://www.google.com/.../@40.5350519,-90.../data=!3m1!1e3
Dennis DeBruler The one towards Beardstown ended up going all the way to the Ohio River to connect with the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railroad. BNSF still operates that route to the Ohio River Bridge.
https://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/.../cb-bridge-over...

Larry Cummings Dennis DeBruler I worked on the Beardstown line for years. Around 1975 I came around the curve coming into Bushnell and derailed all 3 locomotives and 17 cars. Scared the bejesus out of me.
Dennis DeBruler What caused the derailment?
Larry Cummings The official determination was the pilot (snow plow) on the second engine came loose and scrapped up rail anchors until the unit derailed. It took every thing with it. Luckily the train was empty coal cars. We thought the cars were going to come over the top of us. They did stack 3 high. Makes a good story, I don't want to do it again. Nothing like riding a SD40 off the rail at 42mph.
Dennis DeBruler Larry Cummings I can't even imagine. Partially because I don't want to :-)
Dennis DeBruler I had read that the CB&Q route to Southern Illinois was built mainly to access coal mines. I didn't realize how much coal was down there until I researched this I-57 overpass that still as the BN logo: https://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/.../abanbncb...

Dennis DeBruler commented on Dave's posting
CB&Q must have concentrated on their mainline (northeast/southwest) route through town. It appears we are looking at what is now part of the ADM property. My guess is that yellow was CB&Q and red was NC.

Sam Carlson posted
[The comments indicate this was the CB&Q depot.]

Andy Zukowski posted
CB&Q Railroad Depot in Bushnell, Illinois. C.1910

No comments:

Post a Comment