Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Feterita, KS: Abandoned Building Tile Grain Elevator

(Satellite)

Sarah Light Grosvenor posted five photos with the comment: "This old grain elevator is in Feterita, KS which is an unincorporated area between Rolla, KS and Hugoton, KS on HWY 56."
Bob Summers This old tile elevator is a unique survivor. My records show at one time our Security Elevator Co had a country elevator in Feterita Kansas - before my time. I do not recall evidence of any other elevators there, such as foundations or rail sidings, so perhaps this was it. Many experiments in building early elevators fireproof were made, including tille, so I think this example is historically significant. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah also posted.
James A. Heydt Interesting. I assume that the rail are shown there are being stored there. Any idea what the heritage the rail line is?
Bob Summers former AT&SF branch line southwest from Dodge City, splits at Satanta Kansas. This is the southern part extending I think to Boise City Oklahoma. No doubt operated by a short line now, I believe called the "Cimarron Valley Railroad" The tank cars are likely for an ethanol plant maybe.
Jeff Wecker Cimarron Valley is the railroad that operates that.

1

2

3

4

5

No comments:

Post a Comment